International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 3(1): 7-12
Spatial Inequality Assessment: Netrokona District, Bangladesh.
Received: 24 February 2023 || Accepted: 25 March 2023 || Published: 25 March 2023
A B S T R A C T
Inequality is defined as the uneven and unfair allocation of resources. Economic, social, and geographical elements that intersect with inequality develop when resources in a community are unequally distributed. This study was undertaken to identify and to assess the existing spatial inequality in Netrokona district based on the 2011 census. Here, this study used some specific datasets as well as conversion, processing, and analyzing tools in ArcGIS software to determine the existing spatial inequality in Netrokona district via upazila-wise sectoral analysis (economic, social, Infrastructure, Health, and Sanitation). Datasets were weighted overlaid using ArcGIS through modeling. The study demonstrates that Netrokona sadar is in ‘very good’ condition, whereas Khaliajuri upazia is in ‘very poor’ condition based on all sector variables. This spatial variation may raise the possibility of unplanned growth and worse social conditions in the study area. These findings could help the government and policymakers implement essential policies and measures to combat inequality.
KeyWords: Spatial Inequality, Netrokona District, Variable, ArcGIS, and Model.
Copyright information: Copyright © 2023 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
To cite this article: Hasan, M.I. (2023). Spatial Inequality Assessment: Netrokona District, Bangladesh. International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 3 (1): 6-11
- BBS (2011). District Statistics 2011, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, Parishankhan Bhaban, E-27/A, Agargoan, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh.
- BBS (2013). Economic census 2013, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, Parishankhan Bhaban, E-27/A, Agargoan, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh.
- BBS (2016). Poverty Maps of Bangladesh 2016, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, Parishankhan Bhaban, E-27/A, Agargoan, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh.
- Islam, M. D., Sayeed, J., & Hossain, M.N. (2017). On Determinants of Poverty and Inequality in Bangladesh, Journal of Poverty, 21(4), 352-371. https://doi.org/10.1080/10875549.2016.1204646
- Kanbur, Ravi & Venables, Anthony J., (2005). "Spatial inequality and development overview of unu-wider project," working papers 127127, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Mahzab, M. (2015). Lagging District Development: Background Study Paper for Presentation of the Seventh Five-Year Plan, August.
- WB (2016). Bangladesh Poverty Assessment: Facing old and new frontiers in poverty reduction, World Bank. Washington DC.
- WB (2013). Assessing a Decade of Progress in Reducing Poverty 2000-2010, World Bank. Agargaon, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka 1207, Bangladesh.
Article View: 2291 times