International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 2021, 1(III):106-112
Management of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit Borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee) using Selected Insecticides in Farmer’s Fields at Bandarban Hill Tracts, Bangladesh
Received: 12 June, 2021 || Accepted: 12 July, 2021 || Published: 14 July, 2021
A b s t r a c t
Brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) is the most prevalent and destructive pest of brinjal in Bangladesh as well as in Asia. The study was conducted during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 cropping season at Bandarban hill and valleys of Chattogram, Bangladesh to develop sustainable and eco-friendly management techniques for cultivating brinjal to control brinjal shoot and fruit borer (BSFB). The study was conducted following randomized complete block design (RCBD) having seven treatments combination. Each treatment was replicated three times. Among the treatments, T3 reduced the highest infestation of shoot and fruit by 95.96% and 94.85% over control, respectively. The highest brinjal yield (31.56 ton/ha) and the highest moth captured (75.88) throughout the season were achieved by the same treatment. Spraying of voliam flexi 300SC @ 0.5 ml Liter-1 water at 10 days an interval+hand collection & destruction of infested fruits and larvae+pheromone trap+nappy trap goes to be the foremost effective treatment to manage brinjal shoot and fruit borer in the hilly areas of Bandarban.
Keywords: Brinjal, Management, BSFB, Leucinodes orbonalis, Yield, Bandarban valley.
Copyright information: Copyright © 2021 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
To cite this article: Faruq, M.O., Latif, M.A., Khan, M.M.H., Das, G.P., & Uddin, M.R. (2021). Management of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit Borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee) using Selected Insecticides in Farmer’s Fields at Bandarban Hill Tracts, Bangladesh. International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 1 (III), 106-112.
- Alam, S.N., Rashid M.A., Rouf, F.M.A., Jhala, R.C., Patel, J.R. & Satpathy, S. (2003). Development of an integrated pest management strategy for eggplant fruit and shoot borer in South Asia. Technical Bulletin, Asian Vegetable Research and Development Centre. Shanhua, Taiwan, 28:56.
- Awal, A., Rahman, M.M., Alam, M.Z., Khan, M.M.H., Kabir, A.K.M.R. & Uddin, M.S. (2014). Efficacy of seven insecticides on the larvae of brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee under laboratory condition. Journal of Patuakhali Science and Technology University, 5(1): 37-43.
- Awal, A., Rahman, M. M., Alam, M. Z. and Khan, M. M. H. (2015). Diversity and equitability of insect pests and natural enemies in brinjal field treated with insecticides. Jahangirnagar University Journal of Biological Sciences, 4(1):71-80.
- Chaterjee H. (2009). Pheromone for the management of brinjal fruit and shoot borer, Leucinodes orbonalis, Guenee, Karnataka Journal of Agriccultural Sciences, 22 (3): 594-596.
- Cork A, Alam SN, Rouf FMA, Talekar NS. (2003). Female pheromone of brinjal fruit and shoot borer, Leucinodes orbonalis: trap optimization and preliminary mass trapping trials. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 93:107-113.
- De Mendiburu. (2009). Una herramienta de analisis estadistico para la investigacion agricola. Tesis. Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria (UNI-PERU). Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Lima-PERU. Facultad de Economia y Planificacion Departamento Academico de Estadistica e Informatica.
- Dhankar, B S. (1988). Progress in resistance studies in the eggplant (Solanum melongena L) against shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee) infestation. Tropical Pest Management, 34 343-345.
- FRG. (2012). Fertilizer Recommendation Guide, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Farmgate, Dhaka 1215. P. 274.
- Gangwar, R.K., Singh, D.V., Bhatnagar, A. & Sachan, S.K. (2014). Brinjal shoot and fruit borer management with insecticides. Indian Journal of Entomology, 76(2):97-100.
- Hossain, A. & Awrangzeb, S.N.H. (1992). Vegetable production policies, present and future directions, pp. 21-30, In: Proceeding on vegetable production and marketing. AVRDC, BARI, BARC and USAID.
- Islam, M.N. & Karim, M.A. (1991). Management of the brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orhonalis Guenee (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in field Annual Research Report 1990-91 Entomology Division,BARI,Joydebpur, Gazipur, pp 44-46.
- Jat, K.L. & Preek, B.L. (2001). Field evaluation of ecofriendly insecticides against brinjal shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee), Indian Journal of Plant Protection, 29(1-2): 75-85.
- Latif, M.A. (2007). Ph. D. Dissertation on, "Effectiveness of some insecticides in managing brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee and their impact on arthropod biodiversity and soil microbial respiration", Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Salna, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Mahanta, C.L. and Kalita, D. (2020). Nutritional Composition and Antioxidant Properties of Fruits and Vegetables, Academic Press, ISBN 9780128127803, PP:273-287
- Misra, H.P. (1993). Chemical control of brinjal shoot and fruit borer Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. Indian Journal of Entomology, 55(1): 89-91.
- Nayar, K.K, Ananthakrishnan, T.N. & David, B.V. (1995). General and Applied Entomology 11 edn Tata McGraw-hill Publ Co Ltd 4/12, Asaf Ali Road, New Delhi-110002, P-557.
- Satpathy, S., Shivalingaswamy, T.M., Akhilesh Kumar, Rai, A.B. & Mathura Rai. (2005). Biointensive management of eggplant shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guen.). Vegetable Science, 32(1):103 104.
- Srinivasan, G., Babu, P.C.S., Reddy, P.P., Kumar, N.K.K. and Verghese, A. (1998). Advances in IPM for Horticultural crops. Proceedings of the First National Symposium on Pest Management in Horticultural Crops: Environmental implications and thrust, Bangalore, India, 15-17 October, 1997. PP. 87-93.
- Steel, R.G.D., Torrie, J.H. & Dickey, D.A. (1997). Principles and Procedures of Statistic a Biometrical Approach. Third Edition. The Mc Graw Hill company, New York.
- Wankhede, S.M. & Kale, V.D. (2010). Effect of Insecticides on Brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 18(2):336-339.
Article View: 1952 times