International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 2(1): 19-22
Effects of IPM Package against Brinjal Shoot and Fruit Borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee) on Brinjal
Received: 19 April, 2022 || Accepted: 30 May, 2022 || Published: 28 June, 2022
A B S T R A C T
A field experiment was conducted at the farmer’s field at Sreepur, Gazipur during the cropping season of 2019-2020 to evaluate the effects of IPM package against brinjal shoot and fruit borer on brinjal. Crop under IPM plots (Sex pheromone + Sanitation + Beneficial insects) resulted comparative lower fruit damage and produced higher yield than the non IPM plots. The lowest shoot and fruit infestation was obtained from the IPM plots (6.85% and 5.78%, respectively) whereas highest was in the non IPM plots (17.23% and 15.28%, respectively). Reduction of fruit infestation was 62.17% over non IPM plots. The infestation status of IPM and non IPM plots reflects in the yield. Higher yield was obtained from IPM plots (55.70 t/ha) than the non IPM plots (40.23 t/ha) which was 38.45% higher than the non IPM plots. Higher gross return (Tk. 557000/ha) and gross margin (Tk. 322700/ha) was also recorded from IPM treated plots than the non IPM plots.
Keywords: Brinjal, IPM package, BSFB, shoot infestation and fruit infestation.
Copyright information: Copyright © 2022 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
To cite this article: Ali, M.Y. (2022). Effects of IPM Package against Brinjal Shoot and Fruit Borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee) on Brinjal. International Journal for Asian Contemporary Research, 2 (1): 19-22.
- Alam, S. N., Hossain, M. I., Rouf, F. M. A., Jhala, R. C., Patel, M. G., Rath, L. K., Sengupta, A., Baral, K., Shylesha, A. N., Satpathy, S., Shivalingaswamy, T. M., Cork, A. and Talekar, N. S. (2006). Implementation and promotion of an IPM strategy for control of eggplant fruit and shoot borer in South Asia. Technical Bulletin No. 36. AVRDC publication number 06-672. AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center, Shanhua, Taiwan. 74 PP.
- Alam, S. N., Rashid, M. A., Rouf, F. M. A., Jhala, R. C., Patel, J. R., Satpathy, S., Shivalingaswamy, T. M., Rai, S., Wahundeniya, I., Cork, A., Ammaranan, C., and Talekar, N. S. (2003). Development of an integrated pest management strategy for eggplant fruit and shoot borer in South Asia, Technical Bulletin TB28, AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center, Shanhua, Taiwan, 66 PP .
- Arida, G. S., Duca, A. A., Punzal, B. S. and Rajotte, E. G. (2003). Management of the eggplant fruit and shoot borer, Leucinodes orbonalis (Guenee): Evaluation of farmer’s indigenous practices. In: Overview of the Southeast Asia Site in the Philippines. 45-47 PP. http:/ /www.oired.vt.edu/ipmcrsp/communications/annrepts/annrep03/Philippines/6phillipinescombined.pdf
- AVRDC. (1996). AVRDC .(1995). Report. AVRDC Publication No. 96-449. Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center, Shanhua, Taiwan. 187 PP.
- Chakraborti, S. and Sarkar, P.K., (2011). Management of Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee on eggplant during the rainy season in India. J. Protect. Res., 51: 325- 328.
- Cork, A., Alam, S. N., Das, A., Das, C. S., Ghosh, G. C., Farman, D. I., Hall, D. R., Maslen, N. R., Vedham, K., Phythiam, S. J., Rouf, F. M. A. and Srinivasan, K. (2001). Female sex pheromone of brinjal fruit and shoot borer, Leucinodes orbonalis blend optimization. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 27(9): 1867–1877.
- Dhandapani, N., Shelkar, U. R. and Murugan, M. (2003). Bio-intensive pest management in major vegetable crops: An Indian perspective. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, 1(2): 330-339.
- Dutta, P., Sigha, A.K., Das, P. and Kalita, S., (2011). Management of brinjal fruit and shoot borer, Leucinodes orbonalis in agro-ecological conditions of West Tripura. Scholarly J. agric. Sci., 1:16-19.
- Islam, M. N. and Karim, M. A. (1991). Management of the brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guen, (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in field. In: Annual Research Report 1990-91. Entomology Division, Bangladesh Agric. Res. Inst. Joydebpur, Gazipur, 44 – 46 PP.
- Latif, M.A., Rahman, M. M. and Alam, M. Z., (2010). Efficacy of nine insecticides against shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in eggplant. J. Pestic. Sci., 83: 391-397.
- Prasad, H., Singh, H. M. and Singh, A. K. (2005). Effective range of sex pheromone of Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. Journal of Applied Zoological Researches, 16(1): 81- 82.
- Rahman, M. S., Alam, M. Z., Haq, M., Sultana, N. and Islam, K. S. .(2002). Effect of some integrated pest management (IPM) packages against brinjal shoot and fruit borer and its consequence on yield. Online Journal of Biological Sciences, 2(7): 489-491.
- Saimandir, J. and Goal, M., (2012). Evaluation of synthetic and natural insecticides for the management of insect pest control of eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) and pesticide residue dissipation pattern. Am J. Pl. Sci., 3: 214-227.
- Satpathy, S., Shivalingaswamy, T. M., Akhilesh Kumar, Rai, A. B. and Mathura Rai. (2005). Biointensive management of eggplant shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guen.). Vegetable Science, 32(1): 103-104.
- Srinivasan, G. and Babu, P. C. S. (2000). Sex pheromone for brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis. Indian Journal of Entomology, 62: 94–95.
- Srinivasan, R., (2009). Insect and mite pests on eggplant: a field guide for identification and management. AVRDC Publication No. 09-729. AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center, Shanhua, Taiwan. 64 p.
- Srivastava, K. P. and Butani, D. K. (1998). Pest management in vegetables, Part 1. Houston, USA: Research Periodical and Book Publishing House. 294 PP.
- SUSVEG-Asia. (2007). SUSVEG-Asia Brinjal integrated pest management (IPM). http://susveg-asia.nri.org/ susvegasiabrinjalipm4.html (Accessed on 19 September 2007).
- Talekar, N. S.( 2002). Controlling eggplant fruit and shoot borer: A simple, safe and economical approach. International Cooperators’ Guide, AVRDC Pub. #02-534. Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center, Shanhua, Taiwan. 4 PP.
- Zhu, P., F. Kong, S. Yu, Y. Yu, S. Jin, X. Hu and J. Xu. (1987). Identification of the sex pheromone of eggplant borer Leucinodes orbonalis Guénee (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Zeitschrift Fur Naturforschung C-A Journal of Biosciences, 43C:1347–1348.
Article View: 138 times