Volume 1, Issue II, Page 89-97
Effects of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) on Agricultural Sectors in Bangladesh: A Review
Received: 02 May, 2021 || Accepted: 01 June, 2021 || Published: 01 June, 2021
Received: 02 May, 2021
Accepted: 01 June, 2021
Published: 01 June, 2021
Available in online: 02 June, 2021
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a new era in the efficacy of the agricultural sectors while the costs of this new era on humanity, the economy, and the food sector are still under examination. For example, the agricultural sectors like agriculture, fisheries, livestock is one vital aspect of food systems that is directly affected by COVID-19. This review paper summarizes COVID-19 and its effects on the agricultural sectors. The COVID-19 has an effect on profit of agriculture, livestock, and fisheries and has opened up inequalities within the food chain. As a result, the epidemic has shown that our food chain is fragile. Since the worldwide population and urbanization will be raised in the coming decades, epidemics will occur more often. To that end, we have highlighted the need to ensure contingency plans and mitigation strategies about agricultural systems which would more sustainable and resilient.
Keywords: COVID-19, Coronavirus, Agriculture, Fisheries, Livestock, Food security and Bangladesh.
- Alanagreh, L., Alzoughool, F. & Atoum, M. (2020). The Human Coronavirus Disease COVID-19 : Its Origin, Characteristics, and Insights into Potential, Pathogens, 29; 9(5), 331. Available from: doi.org/10.3390/pathogens9050331.
- Barrett, C. B. (2020) Actions now can curb food systems fallout from COVID-19, Nature Food 1(6), 319–320.
- Boyacι-Gündüz, C.P., Ibrahim, S.A., Wei, O.C. & Galanakis, C.M. (2021). Transformation of the Food Sector: Security and Resilience during the COVID-19 Pandemic, Foods, 10, 497. https://doi.org/10.3390/ foods10030497
- Chen, N., Zhou, M., Dong, X., Qu, J., Gong, F., Han, Y., Qiu, Y., Wang, J., Liu, Y., Wei, Y., Xia, J., Yu, T., Zhang, X. & Zhang, L. (2020). Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study, Lancet, 395, 507–13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30211-7
- Coalition for Fair Fisheries Agreements (CFFA). (2020). African artisanal fishermen call for meas- ures to help them cope with the COVID-19 Epidemic. Coalition for Fair Fisheries Agreements. April 6, 2020. https://www.cffacape.org/news-blog/african-artisanal-fishermen-call-for-meas- ures-to-help-them-call-cope-with-the-covid-19-epidemic.
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, et al. (2019). The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2019, Safeguarding against economic slowdowns and downturns. Rome, FAO. 2019.
- FAO. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic impact on food and agriculture.
- FAO. (2020). FAO Director-General urges G20 to ensure that food value chains are not disrupted during COVID-19 pandemic.
- FAO. (2020). FAO warns of the impact of COVID-19 on school feeding in Latin America and the Caribbean. 2020.
- FAO. (2020). Food and Agriculture Organization. 2020. The effect of COVID-19 on fisheries and aquaculture in Asia. Bangkok. https://doi.org/10.4060/ca9545en
- FAO. (2020). How is COVID-19 affecting the fisheries and aquaculture food systems.
- FAO. (2020). How Is COVID-19 affecting the fisheries and aquaculture food systems. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 10. 4060/ca8637en.
- FAO. (2020). Joint Statement on COVID-19 Impacts on Food Security and Nutrition; FAO, IFAD, the World Bank and WFP on the Occasion of the Extraordinary G20 Agriculture Minister’s Meeting: Rome, Italy; Washington, DC, USA. Available online: http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/1272058/icode/ (accessed on 5 May 2020).
- FAO. (2020). World Food Situation. Available online from : http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/ foodpricesindex/en/ (accessed on 25 April 2020).
- FAO. 2020. Urban food systems and COVID-19: The role of cities and local governments in responding to the emergency. Available from: https ://www.fao.org/3/ca860 0en/ CA860 0EN.pdf. Accessed 23 Apr 2020.
- Favalli, E. G., Ingegnoli, F., De Lucia, O., Cincinelli, G., Cimaz, R. & Caporali, R. (2020). COVID-19 infection and rheumatoid arthritis: Faraway, so close. Autoimmunity reviews, 102523.
- Gregorioa, G. B., & Ancog, R. C. (2020). Assessing the impact of the covid-19 pandemic on agricultural production in Southeast Asia: toward transformative change in agricultural food systems, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, 17(1362-2020-1097), 1-13.
- Gu, H. Y. & Wang, C. W. (2020). Impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on vegetable production and countermeasures from an agricultural insurance perspective, Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 19, 2866–2876.
- han, M. R. & Khan, M. J. (2020). Coronavirus Fallout: Vegetable growers count huge losses. The Daily Star. Retrieved from https://www.thedailystar. net
- Haque, R., Maleque, M. A., Rahman, S. M. L., Khan, A. U. & Bhuiyan, M. A. H. L. (2019). Evaluation of New Molecule Insecticides Against Lemon Butterfly (Papilio Demoleus L.) Infesting Jara Lemon in Sylhet, Bangladesh Journal of Entomology, 29(2), 1-12.
- Hassen, T. B., El Bilali, H., & Allahyari, M. S. (2020). Impact of covid-19 on food behavior and consumption in Qatar, Sustainability, 12(17), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.4060/ca9545en
- Hellewell, J., Abbott. S., Gimma, A., Bosse, N. I., Jarvis, C. I., Russell, T. W., Munday, J. D., Kucharski, A. J. & Edmunds, W. J. (2020). Feasibility of controlling COVID-19 outbreaks by isolation of cases and contacts, Lancet Glob Health, 8, 488-96. Available from doi:10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30074-7.
- IPES. (2020). International Political Economy Society. The International Panel ofExperts on Sustainable Food Systems, COVID-19 and the Crisis in Food Systems: Symptoms, Causes, and Potential Solutions; Communiqué by IPES-Food: Brussles, Belgium, 2020.
- Johnson, K. (2020). Coronavirus shuts down Chinese market for live lobsters, sends industry into panic mode. The Chronicle Herald, January 30, 2020. https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/busi- ness/local-business/coronavirus-shuts-down-chinese-market-for-live-lobsters-sending-industry- into-panic-mode-404744/.
- Khan, A. U. (2021). Information about the covid-19 in Bangladesh (March 2020 to February 2021).https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351151990_Information_About_The_Covid-19_In_Bangladesh_March_2020_To_February_2021. [Online]
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Dash, C. K., Khan, U. H. S. & Ehsanullah, M. (2020). Insect Pests of Country Bean and Their Relationships with Temperature, Bangladesh Journal of Ecology, 2 (1), 43-46.
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Ferdous, J., Islam, M. S. & Rahman, M. S. (2019). Varietal Performances of Country Beans Against Insect Pests in Bean Agroecosystem, Bangladesh Journal of Entomology, 29(2) 27-37.
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Islam, M. S. & Maleque, M. A. (2018). Abundance and Fluctuation Patterns of Insect Pests in Country Bean, Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University, 5(2), 167-172.
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Khan, A. U., Khanal, S. & Maukeeb, A. R. M. (2021). Chrysanthemum Production in Bangladesh: Significance the insect Pests and Diseases Management: A Review, Journal of Multidisciplinary Applied Natural Science, 1(1), 25-35. https://doi.org/10.47352/jmans.v1i1.10.
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Maleque, M. A., Das, C., Talucder, M. S. A., Maukeeb, A. R. M., Ema, I. J. & Adnan, M. (2021). Management of insect pests and diseases of jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus L.) in agroforestry system: A review, Acta Entomology and Zoology, 2(1), 37-46. doi: https://doi.org/10.33545/27080013.2021.v2.i1a.29
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Talucder, M. S. A., Hossain, M. S., Ali, S., Akter, T. & Ehsanullah, M. (2020) Constraints and solutions of country bean (Lablab purpureus L.) Production: A review, Acta Entomology and Zoology, 1(2), 37-45. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33545/27080013.2020.v1.i2a.17.
- Khan, A. U., Choudhury, M. A. R., Tarapder, S. A., Maukeeb, A. R. M. & Ema, I. J. (2020). Status of Mango Fruit Infestation at Home Garden in Mymensingh, Bangladesh, Current Research in Agriculture and Farming, 1(4), 35-42. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18782/2582-7146.119.
- Khan, A. U., Khan, A. U., Khanal, S., & Gyawali, S. (2020). Insect pests and diseases of cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum Presi.) and their management in agroforestry system: A review, Acta Entomology and Zoology, 1(2), 51-59. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33545/27080013.2020.v1.i2a.19.
- Khan, A. U., Khan, F. U., Khanom, S. & Khan, A. U. (2020). Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Pandemic Situation in Bangladesh, Nujs Journal of Regulatory Studies, 5(2),1-10.
- Khan, A. U., Khan, F. U., Khanom, S., Khan, A. U. & Afsana, A. S. (2020). COVID-19 Pandemic Situation in Bangladesh, International Conference on Multidisciplinary Industry and Academic Research (ICMIAR). Candelaria, Quezon, Philippines. December 12, 2020. 1(1), 25. www.iiari.org.
- Khan, A. U., Proma, A. A., Akter, M., Rahaman, M. M. & Das, S. (2020). A Review on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Epidemic Threat for Global Health in 2020, American Journal of Microbiological Research, 8(2), 57-62. doi:10.12691/ajmr-8-2-3.
- Khan, A.U. & Khan, A.U. (2020). The Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic Thread on Agriculture Sector Proceeding of 8th International Conference of Biotechnology, Environment and Engineering Sciences 18 October 2020, Stockholm-Sweden, 15. DOI: 10.46617/icbe8.
- Khan, A.U. & Khan, A.U. (2020). The Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic Threat on Agriculture Sector, Presentation, https://www.researchgate .net/publication/346003092_ICBE-8-COVID-19_and_Agriculture-Ahasan_Anayat[Online].
- Lagiso, D. (2020). Challenges and Opportunities of Covid-19 in Agricultural Economy: The Case of Ethiopia, International Journal of African and Asian Studies, 65, 24-29.
- Liu Y-M., Al-Mahmud M. S., Chen, X., Chen, T-H., Liao, K-S., Lo, J. M., Wu, Y-M., Ho, M-C., Wu, C-Y., Wong, C-H., Jan J-T. & Ma, C. (2020). A Carbohydrate-Binding Protein from the Edible Lablab Beans Effectively Blocks the Infections of Influenza Viruses and SARS-CoV-2, Cell Reports, 32, 108016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. celrep.2020. 108016
- Lu, R., Zhao, X., Li, J., Niu, P., Yang, B. & Wu, H. (2020). Genomic characterization and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding, The Lancet, 0(0), https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30251-8/abstract
- Nathan, J., Bennett, Elena, M., Finkbeiner, Natalie, C., Belhabib, D., Stacy, D., Jupiter, J. N., Kittinger, S. M., Joeri, S., David, G. & Patrick, C. (2020). The COVID-19 Pandemic, Small-Scale Fisheries and Coastal Fishing Communities, Coastal Management, 48(4),336-347. DOI: 10.1080/08920753.2020.1766937.
- Orlowski, A. (2020). Small-scale fishermen suffering significantly from COVID-19 pandemic. Sea food Source, April 27, 2020. https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/supply-trade/small-scale- fishermen-suffering-significantly-from-covid-19-pandemic.
- Rahman, M. S., & Das, G. C. (2021). Effect of COVID-19 on the livestock sector in Bangladesh and recommendations, Journal of Agriculture and Food Research, 4, 100128.
- Shawon, A. A., & Mamun, S. (2020). Bangladesh likely to extend shutdown till May 16. Dhaka Tribune, May 02, 2020.
- Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z., O’Neill, N., Khan, M., Kerwan, A., Al-Jabir, A. & Agha, R. (2020). World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), International Journal of Surgery, 71-76.
- Tester, H. (2020). Coronavirus impact: Florida fishing industry smacked hard by pandemic. CBS Miami, April 22, 2020. https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/04/22/florida-fishing-industry- coronavirus/.
- WHO. 2019-nCoV Situation Report on 30 February, 2020. https://www.who.int/docs/defaultsource/coronaviruse/situation-eports/
- Workie, E., Mackolil, J., Nyika, J. & Ramadas, S. (2020). Deciphering the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on food security, agriculture, and livelihoods: A review of the evidence from developing countries, Current Research in Environmental Sustainability, 2, 100014.
- Xia, S., Liu, M., Wang, C., Xu, W., Lan, Q., Feng, S. & Qin, C. (2020). Inhibition of SARS- CoV-2 (previously 2019-nCoV) infection by a highly potent pan-coronavirus fusion inhibitor targeting its spike protein that harbors a high capacity to mediate membrane fusion, Cell research, 1-13.
- Yang, J., Zheng, Y., Gou, X., Pu, K., Chen, Z., Guo, Q., Ji, R., Wang, H., Wang, Y. & Zhou, Y. (2020). Prevalence of comorbidities and its effects in patients infected with SARSCoV-2: a systematic review and meta-analysis, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 94, 91-5. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijid.2020.03.017
- Zarei, M. & Rad, A. K. (2020). Covid-19, Challenges and Recommendations in Agriculture, Journal of Botanical Research, 2(1), 12–15
- Zhou, P., Yang, X-L. & Wang, X-G. (2020). Discovery of a novel coronavirus associated with the recent pneumonia outbreak in humans and its potential bat origin. bioRxiv. 2020.01.22.914952.
- Zhu, N., Zhang, D., Wang, W. Li., X. Yang, B. & Song, J. (2020). A Novel Coronavirus from Patients with Pneumonia in China, 2019, New England Journal of Medicine.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
Article View: 1933 times